Wednesday, October 27, 2010

5 Lbs Sugar Jar

Several weeks ago, I was speaking to a buyer of a major company about our company's pregnancy pillow. She was honest and funny at the same time...telling me, "we carry only 3 pregnancy pillows; and there is only so much shelf space...you know what I mean. I mean you can only fit 5 lbs of sugar in a 5 lbs jar!" I laughed and said I understood very well; not neglecting to mention that The Utterly Yours Pregnancy Pillow is the smallest, most compact pillow that not only simultaneously supports your lower back and abdomen, but also is recommended by OB-GYNs!" A lot for a 5 lbs jar (in my humble opinion) and well worth her shelf space.

Well, as with anything business related or otherwise for that matter, you plant a seed and water it - hoping it will grow and come to fruition. The waiting is the hardest part especially when your mind and heart are fully devoted. So why title this entry, 5 lbs sugar jar?

I started asking myself a question a few days after my conversation with the buyer of that major company, "how much sugar can you fit in a 5 lbs jar?" Thinking of my body as that jar and recalling a story from many years past about a professor who stood behind his podium holding a jar filled to the brim with large stones. He asks his students, "is the jar full?" They unanimously say yes! He reaches under the podium and finds smaller rocks that he gently pours into the jar filling in the spaces between the stones. "Is the jar full now?" he asks his students and again, they say yes, but a little more hesitantly. He reaches under the podium and pulls out a bag of sand that he pours into the jar; again, filling small spaces. He turns to the class and asks the class, "is the jar NOW full?" The class is silent as if they knew there was more to come and there was...a cup of water. "Now," the professor stated, "the jar is full!"

It was a profound idea to me even back then because our perception of what we can do, what we can achieve, who we can be...they are all seemingly predefined by some unknown factors we have stored in our mental "file cabinets". The professor was trying to visually tell his students to question their predefined notions..."to leave no stone unturned" in essence.

So to hear this buyer talk about a jar of sugar, I knew what she meant about shelf space being limited, but in my mind I was thinking how much potential was in our package. Then that thought led to me searching my internal jar to see how full it was and how much more it could hold. There are days when the jar feels like it will burst and there are days when I am so warmed by thoughts that the "sugar" in this metaphorical jar (body) has melted to syrup and there is Oh, so SO much more room for more!

May everyone's jar be, first and foremost, filled with sugar, but may there also, always, be warmth in your hearts to turn that sugar to syrup and make room for more.

1 comment:

  1. You are the sugar of my jar!! And I only know how much your internal jar has been persistantly kept from overflowing, specially with all your hard work on your products... Hang in there dear, cuz I still believe all you need is a lucky break for the product and the brand to be better known and you'll harvest the syrup that you have worked for so so so hard...
    Love & kisses ...

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.