Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Losses

A while back, a woman who I got to know because she carried our products, gave birth to a son who had not survived; he had died within her womb. She gave birth to him...waiting for the contractions to begin must have been such a torment; knowing that you would undergo such pain to deliver a child that would not be held forever in your arms.

Further back than that, a treasured friend, had lost a son. He was healthy and for no reason or lets say for misdiagnosis of his illness, he lost his life. Surrounded by his family as they held and mourned him, they said their good-byes.

Several years ago, I gave birth to a son at close to seven months pregnancy. He had died within my womb. I remember thinking, I can't do this. I can't give birth to a child I will never own, raise, love, nurture. But what choice did I have...I gave birth and could only wonder as to why such a painful loss would have occurred.

These are just a few examples. Women undergo such pains often...if it is not a loss then it is in raising a child with a disability or with a matters of concern. Mothers are forever burdened to care and to worry. Maybe "burdened" is too strong a word, but we are the ones who carry those infants in our wombs or struggle for years to adopt a child of our own or even to undergo painful "in vitro" procedures just for the possibility of having a child; we are the ones who give them life and if something should happen, we carry the burden of that loss tenfold.

I, through time, have learned that every loss has a purpose... I just haven't figured that purpose out yet. Tonight as I write, I write because a friend is remembering the loss of her son. My heart aches for her as it does for any other women/persons who are feeling that hole within their heart... irreparable, but most definitely purposeful. We learn that the purpose of life is not acquiring wealth or status. It isn't about small worries or "split milk"... it is about loving enduringly and with a purpose. It is about living with a cause and acting with compassion.

Tonight, I write to say - believe, flourish, love, believe and take the losses life has thrown your way as a means to nurture that which you have and that which you hope to attain; love unconditionally and know that tomorrow is not a given... it is only a possibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.