Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Boys vs Girls

"Toads, frogs, snakes...Oh My!" I know, the song doesn't really go that way, but today I was watching my children...mind you, I have 2 boys and 2 girls and for about an hour, you would not have known the difference. We live in a wooded area with lots of toads, frogs, snakes, geckos, etc. With all the rain we have had of late, all these lovely creatures are coming out in large numbers and my children are in heaven. Today, however, as I watched them play...I couldn't tell them apart and I don't mean that I could tell them apart physically; I mean, I could not tell them apart by their level of interest.

Awhile back, I swore, I would not get skirmish over snakes and lizards, etc. I did not want to raise fearful children...although, I can't help but admit that my skin would "crawl" and I would spend an hour in the shower cleansing myself. Today, I welcome the creatures wherever the children want to place them on me...in my hands, lap, hair. I have found that these fair creatures are of amazing interest and I am thrilled to see the children cradle them with care and curiosity. Always, however, knowing that mom's rule is that you never keep them from their natural habitat. Enjoy them, pet them, love them...but let them go.

So as I sat today, I was thinking, nostagically of course, that just as my children play and nurture the creatures they have found then release them to be free...so too do I, as a parent, do that for them. Nurture, love, grow and then finally let them go!

The difference between animal life and human life is so nominal when put into such a simplistic perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.