Saturday, April 24, 2010

Only another mom...

Another day of cleaning and getting our home classroom in order. School as usual on Monday; much to the children's dismay! One good thing about having to clean dust out of every nook is that you find things you had forgotten about or put aside to reminisce about later...lost treasures of sorts! Today, I found pictures I had forgotten; paintings my children had made that I had "filed" (which apparently translates to "laid on a shelf and then buried it with paperwork"); the wallet my late father-in-law carried - God how I miss him; and an old video of a sonogram of a son I lost at 6 months pregnancy. Although I know his passing saved my life (I was diagnosed with a blood clotting issue), I can't help but wonder who he would have been today and what he might have achieved in years to come. My late father-in-law, in his attempt to comfort me in my moments of weakness, would say, "Anita, God has his plans laid out for us and everyone has a role to play. You can be sad, but you have to believe in God's will...it is 'stamped' invisibly on each of our foreheads."

I cried a bit and coveted old memories; looked around me and felt very blessed. With those thoughts predominant in my heart and mind. At around 5:00 pm, I realized my body and mind had had enough. Time to go out and enjoy a Saturday night with the family.

The children were thrilled to get out! We started at the pet store where my oldest son ALMOST got away with getting a reptile...I say, "almost", because I want him to go back to the pet store when it's feeding time so that he can realize what it all entails...to keep one animal alive you have to feed it the life of another...and to be honest, I think he would be too sensitive for that, but let's see; if he's not too sensitive, then mom's "weak stomach" will have to be the excuse for not getting a reptile!"

After the pet shop, it was dinner time. We went to our favorite restaurant only to find that it had an hour wait. Headed for the bar/appetizer area to wait our turn, when a group of women saw me holding my 3 1/2 year and my 7 year old tugging/dragging on my arm behind me. I am sure my hair, face, and demeanor must have screamed "She's an exhausted mom let's give her a break!" These three gracious women said, "please take out seats, we are about to leave." I thanked them and they responded, "we're mom's too and know how hard it is to go out and enjoy an evening in such a crowd and especially with kids in tow!"

I was so grateful and made sure they knew it. Only another mom would empathize with what another mom may be feeling. I am sure I didn't look my best, but I know I didn't look my worst; and yet, these women knew what I was feeling which was "God, help me find a table to feed these kids." There were at least 10 tables with people seated around them; and some were very close to finishing, but only these women got up for me. Couldn't help but wonder, if I looked my best and had no kids in tow or a husband (instead a group of girlfriends), would the gentlemen at the other tables have gotten up?! These women acted selflessly and with compassion - don't know your names, but I am thinking of your graciousness tonight and thanking you for it!

We ended up eating our dinner at that table and leaving "just in time" - translation - "before any major meltdowns from the younger children! Hope you all had a wonderful Saturday and that you experienced or were the giver of some gracious act that was appreciated by another.

Until we "meet" again...be well and at peace with your thoughts and body and know that the smallest act of kindness you show another will be reciprocated to you and so appreciated by the person you bestowed that kindness upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.