Friday, April 30, 2010

Humanity

Last night, I had the pleasure of talking to a distributor of our products in Australia. Although, technically, he is no longer distributing our products due to economic circumstances, we were able to touch base and discuss business changes and forecasts. I ended the conversation on a bittersweet note.

Economic changes have impacted not just me as a company, but the world...as far out as Australia. My company focuses on mom's nursing and on the comfort of pregnant women while ensuring the well-being of the fetus they are carrying. I have developed products based on my own necessities that I have come to learn are the majority of women's concerns. And yet, companies such as mine, with the best of intentions are struggling to stay afloat. Why is that? Why is it that good intentions; good products; good companies are struggling? Should I, or others like me, feel frustrated, angry or even sad?

I think being human predisposes us to those emotions, but what if we try to change our perspective. Accept that we can feel frustrated, angry or even sad; but to try and see our endeavor as one worth pursuing no matter what the struggle may entail. I keep telling myself to stay in the moment; focus on that which I love and to not feel defeated. Numbers in a bank account do not measure our self-worth. The family you are nurturing and raising; the extended family that you care for; friends, co-workers - these are the ones that one should measure their self-worth by; meaning, how do they view us and make us feel? If a dollar figure could be put on that, well then, we could all potentially be billionaires!

Back to my conversation with Arthur, our Australian Distributor, I connected with him on a level that went beyond work. It was a human connection about what is important in life; what is important about family and about adventures that we both had enjoyed namely scuba diving. The latter, gives you a perspective on how small you are in relation to the depths of the oceans and the animals great and small that occupy it.

If we could measure ourselves in terms of what we give and not what we get then I believe humanity, as a whole, would be much richer...monetarily and/or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.