Friday, May 7, 2010

Entrepeneur

What does that word mean anyways? and should it be applied only to people who take business ideas and their inherent risks as far as they can before either their nerves break them down or their finances?

As a company, Utterly Yours, has always tried to respect not just our customers and retailers, but our value system as well. Meaning be true to ourselves and treat others as we would want to be treated. We know we have products that have not just won awards, but have been proven to work through countless people using them; but what happens when you, as a company, as an owner, don't feel like you get that same respect back?

There have been times when an irrate individual will reach out to me in frustration that the product isn't for them and they want their money back...well, after just 1 minute of calming them down through reassurances that we are not here to take their money but to help; and then another minute of finding out the issue at hand - we both, the customer and I, come to the conclusion that she sized herself wrong. Literally a few moments of treating someone's concerns with respect then helping them solve the problem leaves not just the customer feeling acknowledged, but me feeling as if I have been productive as well.

Now, why have I said all this and why am I awake this late at night? It is because today I found myself dealing with the disregard of a retailer. I had reached out to her several times to resolve her bills with our company only to be ignored...even though the messages were quite clear..."we are all financially struggling can I help break this [your bill] down for you? I'm an entrepeneur as well and know the struggles you may be experiencing. Let's talk."

Well, tonight I believe that an "entrepeneur" should have a broader definition. It should mean someone who takes an idea, and it's inherent risks, but also one who looks at the other side of the "coin" to see what the market really needs; the consumer really wants; and how are we going to respect not just ourselves, but the community in which we have brought this idea to. By community, I mean you could be a corner store or a worldwide enterprise. A "community" is people serving one another and in so doing enhancing their home, their neighborhood, their city, their state, their country, their continent and ultimately, the planet in which we live on.

An entrepeneur is someone who can set an example...then couldn't we all, potentially, be entrepeneurs? What a world it could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.