Monday, May 24, 2010

Tennis

Why blog about tennis? Well, all my children play tennis including the 3 year old, but that's not why I am writing about it tonight. As I sit and watch the French Open, I sit here mesmorized by the grace; the skill; the sportsmanship...I sit here wondering if I will ever sit in the audience and watch one of my own on center court? Maybe yes, maybe no...but it doesn't matter. Every time I watch my children rally on the court, I sit as mesmorized as I am sitting now.

But again, why blog about tennis? Why is it that I love the sport so much? It is because I consider it a "gentleman's sport" ( and I am not referring to a man playing vs. a woman playing); I am referring to the fact that I enjoy seeing the players play hard for themselves and at the end offering their hand in a shake of comraderie; friendship; acknowledgement of the other players efforts and position/skill in the sport.

I find myself using the rules of tennis in life lessons with my children. For example, if one is mad and slams something down in frustration...I ask, "would you ever consider doing that on the court while in a match?" The answer is always "no". The lesson in tennis is patience, observance (watch your opponent; what is their strength, their weakness?); what game plan are you going to form to win this match? Oh, how the same holds true for life!

Are you [my children] planning life, your goals? Who is your opponent? What do you need to do to overcome/outplay your challenges [opponent]? How are you going to do that?

I see my role as the coach...I am here to guide you, but on the "court of life" you have to take what we've talked about; what you've learned and use it to win! Please know that my definition of winning is not money or status related...it is, how good do you feel about yourself? your life? Every time my children and I talk and have our family meetings, it is all about goals - small or major.

So in this game we call life, how well are we going to play it? A question to seriously ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother to four beautiful children who have taught me more than I believe I have taught them; they have also been the inspiration to the products I have developed to help pregnant and nursing moms.